My Sweet Dog
By S. Norashkharian
What could I give you in return, my sweet dog,
For the years you guarded me from solitude?
And for the joy which leaped on me every time
I was benumbed by the sterile void in me?
Like a poet you are seldom recognized
For your silent vigilance of predators.
You have no tears yet I heard your inner sobs
When your sister left us behind suddenly.
And you do laugh even at me, yes you do,
Perhaps thinking your old man would never guess.
And when you see the can of beef in my hand
You frisk as if I shall give you the whole world.
Yet in my skin I still carry the needles
Impaled in me by those to whom I gave more.
O my sweet dog, sit beside me and tell me,
Why should you cross our last river without me?
* Copyright 1998 By Shant Norashkhahanging But
ALL I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT LIFE I LEARNED FROM
1. If you stare at someone long enough, eventually you'll get what
2. If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss.
3. Be aware of when to hold your tongue and when to use it.
4. Leave room in your schedule for a good nap.
5. Don't go out without I. D.
6. Always give people a friendly greeting - a cold nose in the
crotch is effective.
7. When you do something wrong always take responsibility (as
soon as you're dragged out from under the bed.)
8. Be direct with people; let them know exactly how you feel by
piddling on their shoes.
9. When you go out into the world remember: always take time out to smell the
roses... and trees, grass, rocks, fire hydrants....
one absolutely unselfish friend
that man can have in this selfish world,
the one that never deserts him,
the one that never Proves ungrateful
or treacherous....is his dog.
Man's dog stands by him in
prosperity and poverty,in health
sleep on the cold ground where the wintry words blowand the snow drives
if only he may be near his master's side.
kiss the hand that has no food offer;
he will lick the wounds and sores that come
in conunter with the roughnes of the world
guards the sleep of his pauper master
as if he were a prince.
all other friends desert he remanis.
When riches take wings and reputation
falls to pieces,
he is a
constant in his loves the sun
in tis journey through the